Friday, September 28, 2012

A Little Taste of Andalucía: Marbella and Ronda


The first time I went to Andalucía I was 19 and studying abroad in Budapest.  During a week-long break in November 2008 my friends and I decided to pop over to Spain to see the sites since I had been dreaming of Spain since I was about 10.  We stayed in Madrid a couple days and then took a bus to Granada to see the Alhambra (which I adored) and then to Málaga for the rest of the week where we slept in a hostel owned by a Frenchman named Ludo who pronounced my name Cahooline...which I kind of loved.  It was a very quick trip and my first glimpse of Spain.  I left feeling like a got a little taste but not enough.  So, almost four years later, as you know, I am living in Spain...but in the North...which is completely different than Andalucía.  I love it here of course, but Andalucía has a special place in my heart.  The weather is warmer, the people are friendlier, and the beaches are so welcoming and beautiful (not to mention you can see Africa across the ocean!).  

I arrived on a Tuesday night to Porto Banus, just near the city of Marbella, in Málaga, where Javi's parents have a newly bought apartment.  After an eight hour road trip, needless to say we were exhausted, but near to the apartment a restaurant was hosting a flamenco show...and I couldn't miss it.  So, we arrived at 8pm and did a quick wardrobe change and off to the show.  Over fresh seafood and a class (or three) of verdejo, I marveled at the art of flamenco dance...something not so common in Northern Spain.  The first time I saw flamenco was in 2008 in Madrid, and I don't remember being all too enthralled by it, but this time I was completely captivated; by the music, the movement, the costumes.  I was even brought up by the male flamenco dancer as a volunteer (I was forced) to dance in front of the audience.  Javi may or may not have a video of this which I refuse to post here because I am not the most coordinated of dancers.  So, flamenco was amazing! Here are a few pics...


 


On Wednesday we went to the beach just 3 minutes from the apartment, and spent the day in the sand.  On Thursday we woke up to a foggy not-so-beach-friendly day and decided to head up to Ronda, about 45 km North, and hidden by mountains and rolling hills covered in olive trees.


Ronda is especially known for its bullfights. 
Matador....maybe?
Plaza de Toros.
In the main plaza with my apple tart...yummy.
Catedral.
Amazing view from the bridge.

Castillian garlic soup.

The courtyard of an everyday apartment....amazing, right?

The next couple days were spent going to the Saturday Mercadillo, which is a Saturday morning swap meet, where you can find flamenco costumes, clothes, trinkets of all sorts.  Our last night in Marbella we went to a Sevillan guitar show.  It was absolutely amazing.  I felt like I was in the guitar scene from Vicky Christina Barcelona.  I love Spanish guitar...I wish I had the time to take lessons!  


I can't wait to go back to Andalucía.

No comments:

Post a Comment